Why does my build need Sound Testing?

In 2003 the Building Regulations introduced Approved Document E (ADE 2003) which required that sound insulation testing is carried out on 10% of all new attached homes, conversions, some historic conversions and rooms for residential purposes. Developers now need to provide Building Control with a certificate that the sound insulation requirement for the dwelling has been met.

Approved Doc E (2003) requires that test bodies are either UKAS accredited or registered with the Association of Noise Consultants (ANC).